Experience Canada UK :: IEC Forum A community of people who are looking to, or have already moved to Canada on the International Experience Canada (IEC) programme

Extending Visa 2018/2019

For all general discussion

by mdkenmure » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:14 pm

I'm Just wondering if anybody knows the route to go in extending or "replacing" their IEC visa for a TR or PR one?

My visa expires in 2019 but I wanted to get a "head start" in getting an extension as I've heard extension applications are taking a little time to process.

I have gone through a couple of eligibility questionnaires on the immigration website and I can get a "green light" on any of them.

I am currently employed full time and I have been since I arrived in August 2017.

I am unsure also of the criteria that would qualify me for sponsorship from my employer.

Any direction on this would be appreciated!

Thanks in Advance.
User avatar
Checking In
Posts: 5
Joined: April 2014
Location: Oxfordshire, U.K

by GemmaOTT » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:49 pm

IEC work permits cannot be extended, except in a few, very specific scenarios. At a certain point with the Express Entry system, you can apply for a bridging work permit however.

When you say you did some eligibility questionnaires, are you referring to the Express Entry test? You could enter this now if you have enough points. If not, is your job considered skilled? i.e. on the NOC list as 0, A, B level? If so, wait until you have a year's experience working in Canada in that role and then apply for the Canadian Experience Class via Express Entry. No job offer needed.

Sponsorship from your employer is tricky as they'd need to get a LMIA which means proving that you are the best candidate. The Canadian Experience Class is generally an easier option.
IEC participant 2011 and 2012. Became Permanent Resident via common law sponsorship in 2014.

IEC guides & advice at offtracktravel.ca
User avatar
Take Off
Posts: 64
Joined: February 2015
Location: Canada

Return to General Discussion


User Menu