Experience Canada UK :: IEC Forum A community of people who are looking to, or have already moved to Canada on the International Experience Canada (IEC) programme

IEC Visa - US for training

For all general discussion

by Coopy_6 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi all,

Wasn't sure how to name this topic for my question, but...

Hoping someone might be able to help as I've not found anything on the government website.

My Canadian employer wants to send me for some work training in America, would there be any issues in them doing this in regards to my IEC visa? Or would I just need to get a ESTA as is usually required when visiting America?

Thank in advance!
Currently in Canada on IEC Working Holiday visa - Applying for PR Express Entry via Canadian Experience Class
User avatar
Take Off
Posts: 74
Joined: February 2015
Location: Edmonton, Canada (Originally from UK)

by mdkenmure » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:20 am

As far as I'm aware you only need an Esta.

I have asked the same as the company I work for attends exhibitions and seminars in the US and I may have to visit one or two this year.

The general consensus is that along long as you're tied to a Canadian company and "no money is exchanged" i.e you're not there to physically there to buy and sell goods, then you are not classed as "attempting to work in the US". The same goes for Canadian citizens who I work with that are attending these exhibitions. They all travel on Nexus to these things without the need to apply for work permit.
User avatar
Checking In
Posts: 5
Joined: April 2014
Location: Oxfordshire, U.K

Return to General Discussion


User Menu