Experience Canada UK :: IEC Forum A community of people who are looking to, or have already moved to Canada on the International Experience Canada (IEC) programme

Activating Work Permit and returning to the UK

For all general discussion

by Trilla_UK » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:00 pm

I have seen this advice given on this forum previously, however, given this was a while back and things change I want to ensure I am not putting myself at risk of a wasting the whole thing by being denied entry under the work permit / visa down the line.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Last edited by Trilla_UK on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Checking In
Posts: 1
Joined: November 2017

by GemmaOTT » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:39 am

I don't know of any insurance providers that allow you to get a refund once the policy has started. Your best value option would be to get a two-year policy with True Traveller (see more info in this post here http://offtracktravel.ca/iec-insurance- ... in-canada/) - their policies allow you to return home for an unlimited length of time without invalidating the policy. So you'd be able to use this policy on your return to Canada.

No, you wouldn't be guaranteed re-entry into Canada - only Permanent Residents and Canadian citizens have this privilege. Having a valid work permit puts you in a very good position for entry BUT the border officers always have the right to refuse entry if they see a reason for doing so i.e. you committed a crime while in the UK, you have prohibited goods in your baggage etc. I don't think you'd be flagged for having visited Canada just to activate your work permit - if asked, you have a perfectly valid reason so it shouldn't be a problem.
IEC participant 2011 and 2012. Became Permanent Resident via common law sponsorship in 2014.

IEC guides & advice at offtracktravel.ca
User avatar
Take Off
Posts: 58
Joined: February 2015
Location: Canada

Return to General Discussion


User Menu