Experience Canada UK :: IEC Forum A community of people who are looking to, or have already moved to Canada on the International Experience Canada (IEC) programme

Passport Issue

For all discussion about the IEC application process

by ryanm353 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Hi there,

Im very new to this IEC stuff, but ive applied and im in the pool now waiting to get word back (hopefully!)

Anyway when I signed up for IEC i used my passport number. The passport I used is a British one as I live in Northern Ireland. The expiry date is March 2019.

If i get picked it will be hopefully during the middle of this year before i will be going, however im concerned because of my passport expiring. Im worried for example if i go to canada on August that means I will have 7 months on my work permit. I obviously want to stay longer, so should i just renew my passport now? or what should I do? Im so confused and I dont understand what I have to do to stay longer. Obviously if i renew my passport it will have a different passport number attached to it, so it will be different to what i currently have on my IEC application. Does this matter? Can someone please help? I was hoping of just getting another passport and telling the customs people in canada that i had to get it renewed and get it the work permit changed there and then so i can stay longer? Could someone please clarify what i should do? thank you.
ryanm353
Checking In

by bankofdad » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:43 pm

Here is a previous answer to same question viewtopic.php?p=22529

Here is the official CIC answer http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre ... 861&top=25

So when you apply your passport is still valid but you need to get a new passport before you travel to Canada given as you have gathered you need a passport valid for the full 2 years at time you arrive.

I would not take the option of getting a new passport now as you would need to drop from pool and renter.
bankofdad
Landing

by ryanm353 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:49 pm

So basically I have to keep it the same but just photocopy my old passport, and bring my new passport with me to canada and explain the situation to the border officer so that they can update my work permit with my new passport details? I just want to make sure im correct and have everything sorted
ryanm353
Checking In

by bankofdad » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:00 pm

As it says in the CIC link but given you get the old cancelled passport back so could just take that and your new one.

Make sure the work permit is issued against the new passport number by the CBSA officer and also you have 2 years travel insurance of course.
bankofdad
Landing

by ryanm353 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:09 pm

bankofdad wrote:As it says in the CIC link but given you get the old cancelled passport back so could just take that and your new one.

Make sure the work permit is issued against the new passport number by the CBSA officer and also you have 2 years travel insurance of course.

When you say "Make sure the work permit is issued against the new passport number by the CBSA officer" is this just at the airport when i arrive in Canada and get it changed there? Also before when you mentioned about not renewing my passport now did you mean this because i have not got an offer yet? If and when i do get an offer is that when i should start renewing it? thanks again for all your help.
ryanm353
Checking In

by bankofdad » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:23 pm

When you arrive in Canada you present your passport your POE letter and either a photocopy of your old passport or the actual cancelled passport. The officer will then , assuming you also show 2 years insurance and access to 2500 can, print off your permit and staple it in your passport. So you just need to ensure the permit is linked to your new passport in the system should you need to travel out and back into Canada at any time during the 2 years.

Sure you can renew your passport now but that means you would need to create a new profile and enter the pool again.

Or as per CIC link change your passport after you have applied but before you get your POE letter.
bankofdad
Landing

by ryanm353 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:29 pm

Oh yes okay I understand. So you would recommend me renewing my passport only after i accept an offer? Is that what you mean? Sorry for having so many questions, im just new and worried incase i get something wrong. Thank you so much :) !!
ryanm353
Checking In

by bankofdad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:02 am

That is what I would do given although IEC is a lottery I would want to be in the pool as continuos as possible to maximise my chances, get my invite and POE then sort my passport out. The process as you read caters for passport changes

Decision is yours ultimately.
bankofdad
Landing

Return to IEC Application

User Menu

Login