Experience Canada UK :: IEC Forum A community of people who are looking to, or have already moved to Canada on the International Experience Canada (IEC) programme

Passport Expiry Date

For all discussion about the IEC application process

by Devine95 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi folks,

I have a question regarding my passport expiry date.

My current passport (Irish) will be out of date March 2016, If successful in obtaining my working holiday visa I plan to leave Ireland in October 2015.

I believe that when I receive my work permit once arriving in Canada it will only be valid until the expiry date on my passport - March 2016? And I plan to stay the full two years at least, so...

If I was to apply now on my current passport and get accepted could I then renew my passport and update/inform Kompass and myCIC that I have updated my passport and give them the new details?

In turn granting me a work permit for the full 2 years of my stay?

Any help is appreciated! This forum is full of extremely useful information keep it up!

Regards
Eamonn
Irish IEC WH WTN 002581, Waiting on CAL
Devine95
Departure Lounge

by mcleish » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:01 pm

Very similar situation to me. I emailed and got a response:

'Thank you for contacting International Experience Canada (IEC).

You must apply with a valid passport. You may update your information after you receive your new passport, however, this will not extend your work permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre ... q=861&t=25

IEC'

Not quite sure what the 'this will not extend your work permit.' means though.
mcleish
Checking In

by StressedMum » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:34 pm

Devine95 wrote:Hi folks,

I have a question regarding my passport expiry date.

My current passport (Irish) will be out of date March 2016, If successful in obtaining my working holiday visa I plan to leave Ireland in October 2015.

I believe that when I receive my work permit once arriving in Canada it will only be valid until the expiry date on my passport - March 2016? And I plan to stay the full two years at least, so...

If I was to apply now on my current passport and get accepted could I then renew my passport and update/inform Kompass and myCIC that I have updated my passport and give them the new details?

In turn granting me a work permit for the full 2 years of my stay?

Any help is appreciated! This forum is full of extremely useful information keep it up!

Regards
Eamonn

Yes, you apply with your current passport but then renew it before you head to Canada, so you get the full two years (or one year, if you were from the UK). You just need a copy of the one you applied with when you head to Canada.

When they say 'your permit can't be extended' they mean, you can't arrive with a passport which say only has 8 months left and renew your passport in Canada. In that case, you will only be given a work permit for 8 months.

Hope that helps.
StressedMum
CANADA!

by Devine95 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:59 pm

Mcleish, thanks for the reply. I'm not too sure what that means either but I think if I arrive to Canada with my new passport and the old one just in case they need it also, the work permit should be issued to the valid passport? ie the new one?

Stressedmum, thanks for the reply too! I plan to renew it straight away if I get my visa so I have a "new" 10 year passport when arriving in Canada. I assume they will only issue the work permit on the current passport at the time? I will make sure I bring the old one with me for reference too!

Thanks again guys.. Any info is appreciated!
Irish IEC WH WTN 002581, Waiting on CAL
Devine95
Departure Lounge

by awkm » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:45 am

You'll need to renew before you leave. If you show up in Canada they'll only give you a permit for the length of time remaining in whatever passport you hand over. Once the permit is issued that's the end of the matter as far as CIC is concerned.
UK IEC participant - 2010 and 2012
Permanent Resident (Family class) - 2013
Moving to Ontario?
awkm
Arrivals

by Aboateng » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:37 am

Quick query please.... My passport expires in June of 2017. I intend to leave England for Canada (if my visa is granted that is) on June 2016. If I return back to England before my passport expires, will that be OK? Do I need be be back within a certain period of my passport expiring? I hope I'm making sense.

Thank you!!
Aboateng
Departure Lounge

by StressedMum » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:56 am

Aboateng wrote:Quick query please.... My passport expires in June of 2017. I intend to leave England for Canada (if my visa is granted that is) on June 2016. If I return back to England before my passport expires, will that be OK? Do I need be be back within a certain period of my passport expiring? I hope I'm making sense.

Thank you!!

You definitely need to renew your passport before you go to Canada, or you won't get a 2-year work permit.
StressedMum
CANADA!

by Aboateng » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:11 am

Oh my gosh, thanks! Ok, will it affect my visa application at this stage?
Aboateng
Departure Lounge

Return to IEC Application

User Menu

Login