Experience Canada UK :: IEC Forum A community of people who are looking to, or have already moved to Canada on the International Experience Canada (IEC) programme

Medical Check Required?

For all discussion about the IEC application process

by KBrit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:46 pm

I recently received an invitation to apply for the IEC working holiday and am in the process of filling it out. I've already applied for the police check and have booked an appointment to have a medical but now I'm wondering if I actually need one. I've got a degree in Biomedical Science and was hoping to work in some sort of science field in Canada but I know I wouldn't be able to work in the health field or as a medical technician so I'm not sure I actually need the medical check. Does anyone know if I'd need one just to work in the pharmaceutical field or a non-clinical lab for example as opposed to actually within a health role?

I know the chances of actually getting a career-related job are slim but I thought I'd cover all bases just in case.
Checking In

by GemmaOTT » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 pm

This is the full list of occupations -

workers in the health sciences field;
clinical laboratory workers;
patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes;
medical students admitted to Canada to attend university;
medical electives and physicians on short-term locums;
teachers of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children;
workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled;
day nursery employees.

If you think there is any chance you will need one, personally I would get it before leaving for Canada. It's a bit of a pain to do it once you are actually there and changing the details of your work permit may cost up to $150 (some people get charged, some do not)
IEC participant 2011 and 2012. Became Permanent Resident via common law sponsorship in 2014.

IEC guides & advice at offtracktravel.ca
Take Off

Return to IEC Application

User Menu