Experience Canada UK :: IEC Forum A community of people who are looking to, or have already moved to Canada on the International Experience Canada (IEC) programme

5 Years instead of 2?

For all discussion about the IEC application process

by Stretch » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:29 pm

Howdy guys,

I'm sorry if it's been posted before but I couldn't find anything similar.

So I applied for the working and traveling visa back in October 2016. In September this year, I finally got accepted, however, when it was accepted, it changed and opened another section on the CIC visa site and changed from application type from international Experience Canada to work permit.

On my letter of acceptance, it also says I can work there for 5 years and not 2. I am slightly confused, am I on the working and traveling visa or have they moved me to something else (working visa). Does this mean I have to find a job before I enter Canada or is it just an extended version of the visa I applied for?

I am sure it cant be too hard finding a job in my field (IT) but I just wanted to clarify if any of you have seen this before? Once I get some clarification on my situation I plan to jump straight over!

Thanks for reading, if you need me to post any photos of what I am seeing in the visa login page I can do so

- Dino
Stretch
Checking In

by Stretch » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:00 pm

Anyone around to answer this?
Stretch
Checking In

by GemmaOTT » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:33 pm

Sorry for the late reply but the 5 years on your POE refers to the length of your eTA - this is an electronic travel authorisation to enter Canada. Your actual work permit will be issued on arrival in Canada and will have an expiry date matching however long your country's IEC agreement with Canada is, as long as you have proof of funds and insurance to match.

To your other questions, the IEC working holiday program offers an open work permit.
IEC participant 2011 and 2012. Became Permanent Resident via common law sponsorship in 2014.

IEC guides & advice at offtracktravel.ca
GemmaOTT
Take Off

by Stretch » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:40 pm

GemmaOTT wrote:Sorry for the late reply but the 5 years on your POE refers to the length of your eTA - this is an electronic travel authorisation to enter Canada. Your actual work permit will be issued on arrival in Canada and will have an expiry date matching however long your country's IEC agreement with Canada is, as long as you have proof of funds and insurance to match.

To your other questions, the IEC working holiday program offers an open work permit.

Thank you for clearing that up, I was getting excited and thought it was a 5 year visa!

So to clarify, the 2 year period starts from when I arrive, not when the visa was handed out?

- Dino
Stretch
Checking In

by bankofdad » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:31 pm

The 2 years starts when you arrive but make you arrive whilst your POE letter is still valid plus arrive with 2 years travel insurance effective from the date you arrive else you will not get 2 years.
bankofdad
Landing

Return to IEC Application

User Menu

Login