Experience Canada UK :: IEC Forum A community of people who are looking to, or have already moved to Canada on the International Experience Canada (IEC) programme

Is Canadian PR decided solely on "ticking the stated boxes"

For all general discussion

by tog22 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 pm

Is Canadian permanent residence decided solely on whether the government official can "tick all the boxes" that are publicly stated? (In US English, "put a check mark in all the boxes").

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/ ... ection.asp says "If the applicant’s total score is equal to or greater than [67], the officer *will* (emphasis mine) make a positive selection decision". This suggests that the answer's yes, but that's what I need to check. (Of course, all the documents you supply also have to check out OK - e.g. police certificates with no criminal record and medical examination certificates showing good health. The link goes on to link to a page referring to these.)

To put my question in other words, if you tick all these boxes, is there still a significant chance of being denied once you've got your invitation to apply? For example, I'm currently unemployed (by choice, taking a break on savings), and want to know whether getting a job before I apply might help, even though it doesn't affect the publicly stated criteria. This is a practical decision I need to make soon. Do the officials make judgments of desirability like "someone who's been unemployed a while's undesirable"?

Naturally I'm not talking about extreme and rare cases like being on a terrorism watchlist, or Osama Bin Laden applying without having technically been convicted of a crime, so having a clean Afghani police certificate!

For other PR applicants who find this via Google, the 67 points are at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/ ... actors.asp
tog22
Take Off

by GemmaOTT » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:52 pm

As long as you are eligible as per their criteria and everything checks out (police certs, education etc) then I don't think there is a significant chance of being denied. Other routes of PR (such as spousal/common-law sponsorship) are less cut and dry and have more grey areas. The criteria of Express Entry is pretty explicit in what is required.
IEC participant 2011 and 2012. Became Permanent Resident via common law sponsorship in 2014.

IEC guides & advice at offtracktravel.ca
GemmaOTT
Take Off

by Coopy_6 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:56 pm

I'm not 100% but i am also applying for Permanent Residency (currently in Canada on IEC visa), so this is what i have devised from what you have asked and what I know/understand from my current experience...

I think it would depend which PR application route you go down depends on if you having a job would matter. I.e. I am applying for Permanent Residency via Canadian Experience Class, therefore for me, having a year's work experience and a current job offer in Canada significantly impacts my score and likelihood of being invited to apply.

BUT - if you are applying for PR via a different route such as skilled worker (note: I am not applying this route so therefore do not know the intricacies of the application process or requirements), i think the emphasis is more on your past work experience and how much money you have to support yourself (i think you have to show $12,000 Canadian) when you get to Canada.

Equally, if you get invited to apply and want to make it clear the break is your decision and you are comfortable with your savings, you could always upload a letter of explanation?

I hope this helps!
Currently in Canada on IEC Working Holiday visa - Applying for PR Express Entry via Canadian Experience Class
Coopy_6
Take Off

by Flagle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Can someone confirm or deny the $12k figure? How do they verify that you really have the money? Is a bank statement enough?
Flagle
Checking In

by Flagle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Can someone confirm or deny the $12k figure? How do they verify that you really have the money? Is a bank statement enough?
Flagle
Checking In

by Coopy_6 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:22 pm

Flagle wrote:Can someone confirm or deny the $12k figure? How do they verify that you really have the money? Is a bank statement enough?

I believe it is screenshots of your account, or bank statements they need to see you have the $12k. But, I believe you only need to show evidence of this amount depending on which PR route you are taking. You don't need it for Canadian Experience Class but I think you need proof of funds for Federal Skilled Worker or Federal Skilled Trades.

This Moving2Canada website explains the 3 routes in the Express Entry category and what you will likely need to submit. It makes things a little clearer to understand, I found.

https://moving2canada.com/canadian-experience-class/
Currently in Canada on IEC Working Holiday visa - Applying for PR Express Entry via Canadian Experience Class
Coopy_6
Take Off

Return to General Discussion

User Menu

Login